06 November 2009

My first offroad excursion pt.2


My next obstacle was a pretty dicey creekbed, locally we call them coulees, but who knows if you've heard that word before.

Like the rest of the terrain, it was snowy and muddy. I knew I wouldn't be able to use the road so I took an alternate path. Isn't it just like me to choose an alternate path? Anyways, I crossed the creek and tried to climb the grass on the other side. Not likely. The tires were just too slick. I tried twice and knocked the bike over twice. Once on the way up and again on the way down.

It eventually took me 45 minutes to cross that coulee! Crossing the creek three times in total, climbing, or more correctly attempting to climb, four different hills. It was a nightmare, but exactly what I needed in my life. A physical challenge, obviously... A mental challenge, and even a few moments of dread. I thought I would be out there all night long at some points. I knew I wasn't in danger, but on the other hand, I couldn't readily get myself home.

Ultimately, I succeeded. The sense of accomplishment of succeeding at that type of challenge far exceeds the accomplishment you get from say, coaching a team to a win. I won this one. I did this myself. I raised the bar for myself.

This was a necessary addition to my life. I missed biking!

No comments: